State Laws - California
|Situation||Imprisonment||License Suspension||Fines||Ignition Interlock Device Required|
|1st Offense||4 days to 6 months||30 days to 10 months||Up to $1,000||Yes, In some counties|
|2nd Offense||10 days to 1 year||2 years (can be reduced to 1)||Up to $1,800||Yes|
|3rd Offense||120 days to 1 year||3 years||Up to $1,800||Yes|
|4th Offense||16 months||4 years||Up to $1,800||Yes|
|Any driver||BAC of 0.08% or higher|
|21 or older||BAC of 0.01% or higher|
|Under 18||ANY measureable BAC (zero tolerance)|
|Driver in the vehicle requiring a commercial driver’s license||BAC of 0.04% or higher|
|Repeat offender||BAC of 0.01% or higher (zero tolerance)|
Special Restricted Driver’s License
* DUI-related violations in the State of California results in a license suspension. To be eligible for a special restricted license, one needs to:
- Pay DUI penalties ranging from $390 to $1,000 and a $15 restriction fee (if applicable).
- Submit proof of future financial responsibility (SR22).
- Clear previous driving suspensions and revocations on driving record (if applicable).
- Serve a prison sentence.
- Provide proof of enrollment in a driving under the influence program (18 or 30 month program, depending on the availability in the local area).
- Install a state approved ignition interlock device (if applicable).
The Courts will either order an offender to install an ignition interlock device with or without a DMV connection. Court orders provided at the time of the hearing will determine whether or not one needs to be installed and how long it will be needed for.
Installing an ignition interlock device into a vehicle does not automatically restore driving privileges. To be eligible to drive again, one would need to obtain a restricted driver’s license from the California DMV.
Lookback Period: 10 years (period of time that prior DUIs are relevant for sentencing).
* Note the following information only applies for drivers over the age of 21.
For additional information, please contact the California Department of Motor Vehicles.