1 (866) 700-9300
Hablamos Español
Schedule an Appointment


Please fill out the form below to have a customer service representative contact you.

Zip Code:

State Laws - Minnesota

Situation Imprisonment License Suspension Refusing BAC Test from Police Fines Ignition Interlock Device Required
1st Offense Up to 90 days Up to 90 days 1 year revocation of license $1,000 Yes (if BAC is .15 or above)
2nd Offense Up to 1 year 180 days 1 year revocation of license $3,000 Yes
3rd Offense Up to 1 year Minimum 1 year 1 year revocation of license $3,000 Yes
4th Offense Up to 7 year Up to 4 years N/A $14,000 Yes

Category Illegal When
Under 21 BAC of 0.00% or higher (zero tolerance)
21 or older BAC of 0.08% or higher

Lookback Period: 10 years (period of time that prior DWIs are relevant for sentencing).

* If one has committed a DWI offense in the state of Minnesota he/she will need to obtain an ignition interlock restricted license to regain their revoked driving privileges. In addition, one may need to:

  • Apply for a Class D driver’s license and have a record of payment of associated fees (1st DWI offense only).
  • Pay reinstatement fees of $680.
  • Pass the DWI knowledge test.
  • Provide proof of insurance.
  • Sign an agreement to participate in an ignition interlock program and provide MN DVS with appropriate documents.
  • Obtain special plates if one’s vehicle has been impounded.
  • Install an ignition interlock device from a state approved vendor.
  • Complete a limited license application (3rd DWI offense only) .
  • Sign a Last Use Statement Form (3rd DWI offense only).

* Note the following information only applies for drivers over the age of 21.

For more information, please contact the Minnesota of Department of Public Safety.

Disclaimer: While we try to keep information up to date and relevant on our website, we recognize that there are other factors that can affect the way laws will apply to individual cases. Always consult with your attorney, local courts, judges and district attorneys for all relevant legal information.

Subscribe to our newsletter