OK, right off the bat, we have to admit we’re biased. But if you have to install an ignition interlock device (IID) on your vehicle, we’d like to take a little time to tell you the answer to the question “Why should I choose ALCOLOCK as my ignition interlock device?”
First off, ALCOLOCK is a pioneer in ignition interlock devices. Our company began research way back in the 1970s to develop a device that could keep a vehicle from starting if the driver had been drinking. While our company manufacturers a number of products, the ignition interlock devices are by far the most trusted in the industry. The ALCOLOCK name is synonymous with ignition interlock devices around the world.
So that’s the big reason. We know what we’re doing and we are pioneers in doing it. But if you want to know some of the nuts and bolts of what’s in it for you type of stuff, keep reading. Some of the many benefits of choosing ALCOLOCK as your ignition interlock device include:
- Our office staff and technicians are knowledgeable, friendly and helpful.
- We are well-versed in the laws of your state and can help you complete all of the necessary paperwork.
- Our ignition interlock devices use high tech alcohol fuel cell sensor technology, so they are some of the most accurate IIDs available.
- Installation of your ignition interlock device is quick and easy.
- We have convenient service locations.
- Our IIDs and maintenance plans are affordable. Some plans are as low as $2-3 a day.
- We offer 24/7 support, so we’re available when you need us most.
- We send you appointment and service reminders to help you keep in compliance.
- We are government certified to install and service your ignition interlock device.
- We scrupulously follow all state and federal IID standards.
- We install in nearly all makes and models of vehicles, including push to start, electric and hybrid cars.
- Easy Pay Online option.
- Hablamos Espanol.
How We Install the ALCOLOCK Ignition Interlock Device
Once you’ve decided to go with ALCOLOCK as your provider, simply set up an installation appointment with the service center nearest you. Once we’ve confirmed your eligibility for the restricted driver program in your state, we can schedule your installation — generally within 48 hours of when you first call.
On the day of your appointment, have someone drive you, and make sure you have not had any alcohol to drink in the last 24 hours. Your installation appointment will take about two hours, and that includes the installation, as well as one of our technicians training you in how to use the ignition interlock device so that you can avoid any problems. You will be blowing into the device at the time of installation, so we can calibrate it.
Your ignition interlock device is a two-part system. The technician will access your vehicle’s electronic system, specifically the starter system, to hook up the Electronic Control Unit, or ECU. The second part of the system is the handheld device, which has a mouthpiece attached that you blow into. The handheld device is attached to the ECU by a cord.
How the ALCOLOCK Ignition Interlock Device Works
Before you can start your car, you will have to blow into the device. All 50 states have ignition interlock laws. Each state may have different requirements on the alcohol level they will allow, but it is generally very low, such as .002 or .025. The handheld device has an alcohol fuel sensor in it, and if it senses alcohol in even the tiniest amount, it sends a signal to the ECU which then disables the starter. If you give a breath sample and the device says everything is OK, you can start your vehicle like you normally would. It’s pretty simple.
Your IID program will require you to give a breath sample before starting the car, and then give a new breath sample periodically, depending on your state’s specifications. This is what is called a “rolling retest.” We don’t recommend that you try and take the test while your vehicle is actually in motion. Your device will alert you a few minutes before it is time to submit a new breath sample. You will have plenty of time to find a safe place to pull over or park so that you can do the retest. If you fail or skip the rolling retest, it’s important to know two things:
- The ALCOLOCK ignition interlock device will NOT stop your engine. The device is hooked into your starter, and not your engine. This is for safety reasons.
- Every failed test or skipped test will be recorded, and is considered a program violation. Each program is different, but some programs will lock you out the next time you try to start your vehicle, requiring you to go in for an unscheduled service visit.
Monthly Maintenance Visits
Your program will require you to bring your vehicle in to your service center for monthly maintenance visits. These only take about 20 minutes or less. At each visit, the technician uploads a record of your tests to your monitoring agency — the DMV, your probation officer, or some other party.
If you are locked out from starting your vehicle due to a failed test or tests, you can call us to schedule a service visit.
Ready to Get Started?
If you’re ready to get started on the road back to full driving privileges, call ALCOLOCK at 866-700-9300 or use our contact form to schedule an installation appointment. At ALCOLOCK, our goal is to help you succeed in your ignition interlock device program. We’re with you on the way back.